Question:
Length of time to get a passport?
2006-10-13 08:08:25 UTC
How long does it take to get a passport. I would like to go to Mexico with my fiance to meet his family
Four answers:
2006-10-13 08:12:32 UTC
It's usually about 2 weeks but does increase around the summer holidays. it should be fairly quiet this time of year.

You can pay extra for a fasttrack through the post office or if you are needing it even quicker you can make an appointment with the local passport office and get is same day.

Good luck!
Pam
2006-10-13 17:25:16 UTC
Because Passports are now required staring Jan 8th 2007 for Caribbean, Mexico, S. America, Canada, Puerto Rico, etc. There is a rush for many to get them for there winter travel. What another said on how it shouldn't take to long is the normal for last year, but just with the new requirements I would turn in your application ASAP.

I have heard from clients it can take 4 - 12 weeks depending on where your application is sent and this you have no control over.

You can expedite a passport, but trust me if you don't need to you don't want to! I had to do it years ago and it is costly because not only are you paying for overnight charges, but to be bumped ahead of everyone else.

Best of luck to you and have a great time visiting family in Mexico!
RER
2006-10-15 22:55:19 UTC
Ordinarily, after you apply you will receive your passport within 6 weeks. However, processing times can vary depending on workload and occasional unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters. During busier times, such as the summer travel season, they encourage customers to expedite their applications if traveling in less than 8 weeks. Include your departure date on your application.

Expedited Service

Cost, in addition to regular application fees, is $60 per application plus overnight delivery costs. Total will be $157. Two-way overnight delivery is strongly suggested. If you mail in - clearly mark Expedited on the envelope. Passport applications sent together or at the same time do not necessarily remain together. Passports will be mailed separately. If you paid additionally for expedited service and two-way overnight delivery you should receive your passport within about 2 weeks.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html
2006-10-13 15:10:59 UTC
it could takes months but you can pay an extra fee to have it rush through